On the ACM India: Social Entrepreneurship and Development
program, you’ll immerse yourself in a country that embraces both the dynamic forces of globalization and the deep-rooted traditions of an ancient culture.
The program has two schedule options. The spring semester program brings a comparative context to your study of India by exploring two different regions of the country: Maharashtra and Rajasthan. The winter quarter/trimester option includes only the 11 weeks in Pune.
Both schedule options begin in Pune, Maharashtra, where you’ll participate in a development studies internship with a community-based organization based on your interests. You will have you a firsthand view of Indian social and economic issues to complement your coursework. Additional opportunities included courses that focus on economic development, explore contemporary India, and study Hindi language.
On the semester option, you can choose to stay in Pune and explore the diverse approaches to socio-economic development as well as understanding finer strategies used in a chosen sector. Alternatively, you can move to Jaipur, a city known for its cultural festivals and splendid forts and palaces. There, you’ll deepen your cultural immersion with intensive Hindi language study and opportunities to volunteer with local organizations.
The program includes a homestay in each city, as well as a variety of local and regional field trips to sites of historical and cultural significance. The semester option includes a one-week break for independent travel.
Learn more at ACM.edu/IndiaSpring.
- Development Economics: A comparative approach, drawing on readings and case studies, lectures and class discussion, and students' observations and experiences in Pune.
- Contemporary India: An introduction to India's current politics, political economy, and international relations.
- Development Studies Internship: Working with a non-profit, non-governmental organization in Pune.
- Hindi Language: Language study throughout the program supports deeper social engagement. Taught on an intensive basis in Jaipur (semester program only).
- Social Entrepreneurship: An interdisciplinary study of development through analyzing case studies, interacting with local social entrepreneurs and developing a plan of intervention in a chosen sector (semester program only).